Wednesday, September 1, 2010

flow

i entered a contest yesterday. i had to choose 5 images to submit, and write an artist's statement. here are thumbnails of the images i chose, and my statement.

blog-strip
"The ability we have to feel moved by the gift & expressions of other people or the universe around us, the ability we have to move them in return,,, these are our single greatest gifts, providing the impetus for everything meaningful in our lives." - Jesh De Rox

“Beauty [offers] us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time.” - Albert Camus

"These quotes describe what I attempt with my photography. I notice, seek out, and create moments that move me, hoping that through my art others will feel moved as well. It fascinates me that beauty is everywhere. My images are a montage of simple concepts, emotions, and beautiful experiences that come together to depict how I see, through art. They are personal and intimate documentations of life as I notice it. Usually my focus is photographing people because souls and the things that move them are inherently beautiful. I try to capture that."

each image i chose illustrates this. they're images that are very personal and significant to me. have you ever heard of the psychological theory of "flow" before? mihaly csikszentmihalyi is the man who came up with it. he said that flow is "being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you're using your skills to the utmost."

i find flow when i'm involved in photography that is inspired or motivated by the things i said in my statement. my attention is utterly absorbed in it. time becomes irrelevant. it's the thing i look forward to the most. it takes my mind off of my struggles.

please leave a comment!! when/where/how do you find and achieve flow? Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Saving Singapore said...

My flow is found mostly in golf and swimming. In both, I get to focus nor on the world and what it has ahead of me, but rather just in the moment. In swimming, that flow comes from each stroke, from the glide through the water and the clarity that comes from breathing rhythmically. Golf allows me to view nature while perfecting a game, and I get to use the game as a personal expression of what I'm trying accomplish in life.