Wednesday, July 22, 2009

damon = missionary

my brother is 19. today we said goodbye for 2 years so that he can serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. the reason that he's doing this is so awesome to me- knowing Christ has helped him and now he has the chance to help others learn about Him. missionary work isn't about converting people to the Church so that the Church grows and is glorified, it's about helping people find Christ. i love my brother and i'm proud of him. he is so good.. not in an irritating or brainwashed way, but he is solid through to his core and even putting religion aside, he is one of the best kids i know. whatever you may think about the LDS Church, i challenge you to find a better group of 19 year old boys anywhere other than the MTC (missionary training center). it can't be done.

blog10

blogcollage

blog6

blog1bw

blogcollage2bw

we said goodbye and then he walked away without looking back. he was so confident and happy. i think he grew up about 5 years in that 20 yard walk. he's not a boy anymore.
blog11
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Damon Janis said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Since I wasn't able to be in Utah as Damon Jr entered the MTC it is very nice to be there through your pictures.

Amy Coons said...

Wow. This the best post I've read from you Heather. I know I'm related to this one :) but seriously, the photos are fantastic. I love what you wrote too. Literally, that last one of him walking away I got a little lump in my throat. Thank you so much for sharing.

Shelby Bingham said...

Okay, Heather, I have tears in my eyes. Thanks for the great post and pictures!

heather lorraine said...

Thank you so much!

Heather said...

I hope Esther and Nathan are as close as you and Damon someday, Heather. Thanks for that beautiful post and the wonderful pictures. I'm one lucky aunt!